Tonight I conquered two recipes, "Almost Fast Food Burgers" and "Oven Roasted Peppered Potato Wedges".
Both recipes were easy to prepare and tasty. I. decided to cut the calorie count by 60 by using Orowheat Sandwich Thins as a bun rather than a Whole Wheat bun. It was a great decision for me but hubby said he missed the rest of the bun.
Overall he rated the burger a 5 (if it had a regular whole wheat bun), otherwise a 4 and he rated the fries a 4. Little Harrison didn't care too much for the sauce on the burger and the fries were a bit spicy but he ate them all. I would recommend that other mommies pepper half of the batch so that they aren't too spicy for your little ones.
Asa a combination, it was a fun meal to make and I will definitely make it again but a little bit different.
Almost Fast Food Burger
The Biggest Loser Cookbook
Makes 1 serving (I quadrupled it and made 4 servings)
1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise1/2 teaspoon ketchup1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/4 pound 96% lean ground beef1 slice (3/4 ounce) fat-free American cheese (optional)
1 whole-grain or whole-wheat hamburger bun
1/4 cup chopped romaine lettuce leaves
1 thin slice red onion
3 dill pickle rounds
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard. Stir to mix. Set aside. Shape the beef into a patty that is about 1/2" wider than the bun.
Preheat a medium nonstick skillet or grill rack on high heat. Place the patty on the pan or grill. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until desired doneness. (Do not smash the burger with the spatula.) About 30 seconds before the burger is cooked, top with the cheese, if desired. Place the bun halves, cut sides down, on the pan or grill. Cook for about 45 seconds, or until toasted.
Place the bun bottom on a serving plate. Top with the patty, lettuce, onion, and pickles. Spread the reserved sauce evenly over the inside of the bun top. Flip onto the burger. Serve immediately.
Nutrition at a GlancePer serving: 281 calories, 26 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (2 g saturated), 60 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 736 mg sodium
Easy Low Fat Oven Roasted Peppered Potato Wedges Recipe
by French Tart
55 min 10 min prep
· 2 lbs roasting potatoes
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· fresh ground black pepper
· sea salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 450°F.
2. Wash and scrub your potatoes well - no need to peel them!
3. Cut them into chunky wedges.
4. Place in a ziplock bag or plastic container and add the olive oil & black pepper.
5. Do NOT add the salt now as it encourages water!
6. Shake the container or bag well - making sure every potato wedge has been covered in oil.
7. Place peppered potatoes in a large and sturdy oven proof roasting tin - shake around to ensure they are in a single layer, more or less!
8. Sprinkle on the sea salt and any herbs & spices you may be using.
9. Give another good twist of ground black pepper over the potato wedges and roast in the oven for about 45 - 60 minutes or until crispy and brown!
10. Sprinkle over any fresh herbs, if you are using them for a garnish or just serve "au natural" as a vegetable accompaniment.